The Young Leaders on Arts Boards programme places up-and-coming talent onto the boards of local arts charities. We provide practical, hands-on strategic leadership experience, training, and support to equip Young Leaders aged 21- 35, with the skills to succeed. Through the programme you will build a network of new connections and we will work closely with you, discussing your personal passions and career goals, to ensure that you are placed in the right organisation, where you can work with maximum personal impact.
If you are more established in your career, we also have a Business Leaders on Arts Boards Programme.
You should join because:
• You have a passion for the arts, and a desire to work with personal impact to help the NI cultural sector thrive
• You want to develop your leadership skills in a totally different, creative environment
• You want to gain non-executive board experience
• Peers in your industry who have participated all agree the experience has been profoundly enjoyable and rewarding
• You want to extend your network and form relationships with likeminded individuals
• Supporting the local arts and culture sector is a crucial part of ensuring that Northern Ireland is an attractive and enjoyable place to live, work and play, both now and in the future.
• A one-to-one diagnostic session with the A&BNI team. This consultation will discuss your personal passions and career objectives, capturing SMART data to enable successful board placement.
• Four Good Governance training sessions to provide an introduction to the arts sector and insight into strategies for successful governance, clearly outlining the legal and moral requirements placed upon a non-executive board member. Specifically developed for this initiative, this training allows for peer-to-peer learning and develops confidence to ensure participants engage fully in board business.
• Facilitated opportunities to join the board of an arts or cultural organisation across Northern Ireland.
• A Board Buddy to help with induction and orientation within the arts organisation. This individual may be a successful Young Leaders on Arts Boards alumni who can help advise on the process from personal experience.
• Ongoing support, advice and guidance on governance, board development and changes in charity law for the duration of your board term from the team at Arts & Business NI.
• Access to a full year’s calendar of A&BNI’s cultural and networking events, designed to allow you to form connections and build your business and art sector knowledge. You will be invited to the annual A&BNI Governance Conference, which will include a dedicated break out session for Young Leaders on Arts Boards.
"The Young Leaders on Arts Boards programme provided a perfect opportunity to apply and develop my professional skills at an arts organisation. The programme provides an excellent insight into challenges faced by the arts sector and how you can add your voice and input into an organisation from appointment to a board."
• Applicants will be aged between 21 and 35.
• Applicants will have leadership experience which may include project management.
• Applicants will be located in Northern Ireland.
Business members of Arts & Business NI can access a preferential rate to participate in our Young Leaders on Arts Boards programme - please speak to us about business membership.
£650 + VAT per participant (Arts & Business NI Member rate)
£750+ VAT per participant (non - A&BNI Member rate)
Costs are payable only upon acceptance into the programme.
The programme is now closed for 2023, but we will be opening applications again in June 2024. If you'd like to register you interest to receive information about our Leaders on Arts Boards programme 2024 email email@example.com.
The Leaders on Arts Board programme is proudly supported by A&L Goodbody.
This programme is subsidised by the Arts Council of Northern Ireland.
Arts & Business NI is generously supported by The Arts Council of Northern Ireland.